Reports to: Head of Engineering (or designate)
Hours of work: Full-time
Overview of Role
Ambit is hiring! We’re looking for an experienced Infrastructure / DevOps or AWS Cloud Engineer to join our Engineering team.
Our mission in Engineering is to be the tech experts that support the success of our customers. We do this by adding lots of cool stuff to our product, supporting customer projects and implementations and ensuring the ongoing stability, scalability and security of our product and systems.
This is an awesome opportunity to join a growing team where you’ll be working with the Engineering team (and the wider organisation) to help us design, build, maintain and secure our highly scalable and automated cloud infrastructure.
You’ll be able to step in and take responsibility for our infrastructure and you’ll also play a key role in helping us to analyse what we have and define our infrastructure strategy.
What's in it for you?
You’ll get to become the expert in our AWS infrastructure - we’ll support you all the way and you’ll be able to help us set our infrastructure strategy and improve what we have already.
We don’t believe in micromanagement - we believe in empowering our Engineering team to collaborate and be the tech experts. You’ll be a tech expert at Ambit and you’ll have the opportunity to step up, own solutions and help improve our infrastructure, development practices and the technologies that we use.
We have a culture of innovation and exploring ideas to make our product even more awesome.
There’s also the standard cool stuff like a central Auckland office, flexible working hours and home office, fresh fruit, ice cream Wednesday, fortnightly company breakfasts, company events, having your birthday off, a wellness bonus and a phone plan subsidy.
What you'll be doing
This is a critical role at Ambit and you’ll be actively involved in:
- Designing, building, maintaining and securing our cloud infrastructure systems to help us maximise uptime, minimise production issues and downtime and support our customer growth.
- Improving and maintaining our CI/CD pipelines to maximise the speed of delivery to market while ensuring the safety and quality of releases.
- Supporting our automated testing processes to ensure that releases are well-tested and risks are mitigated through well-automated testing.
- Providing feedback and recommendations on our product and technical roadmaps as well as our long-term cloud and infrastructure strategy.
- Implementing strategies to eliminate and mitigate risks in our infrastructure and development practices.
- Creating and contributing to technical design discussions and strategies with the wider Engineering team.
- Contributing to the security of our cloud infrastructure and services by ensuring that we have a reliable backup strategy, real-time monitoring and follow security best practices.
- Working with the team to troubleshoot and resolve bugs and issues.
- Helping to evaluate new technology alternatives and vendor products/services.
- Taking ownership of internal systems and providing feedback and advice on securing these systems.
- Working with our Customer Success teams to provide support and guidance around client projects and implementations.
- Providing training and support to other Engineers around key technologies, patterns and best practices.
In this role, you’ll be our AWS infrastructure expert!
What technical skills are we looking for?
To be successful in this role you’ll need to have the following core skills and experience:
- Designing, building and maintaining AWS infrastructure (VPC, EC2, Security Groups, IAM, ECS, CodeDeploy, CloudFront, S3 etc) that is secure, scalable, and highly available.
- Provisioning, configuring and maintaining AWS cloud infrastructure defined as code.
- Building and maintaining operational tools for deployment, monitoring, and analysis of AWS infrastructure and systems.
- Securing AWS environments.
- Using Docker, GitHub, Jenkins and deploying applications on AWS.
- Setting up and managing CI/CD pipelines and tooling.
- Writing and maintaining at least one core scripting language (bash, python etc).
- Setting up and managing hosted database instances (Mongo, PostgreSQL etc).
It would also be great if you had the following skills and experience (these aren't critical though):
- Using and managing JIRA (or similar tooling).
- Managing a company GitHub account.
- AWS Disaster Recovery design and deployment across regions.
- Experience in setting up and managing test automation frameworks.
What are we looking for in you as a person?
To succeed in this role you’ll need to be:
- A kind person who believes in building respectful relationships with the people they work with.
- A team player - teamwork is vital given the intimate nature of Ambit. We’re looking for someone who enjoys working and collaborating as part of a team.
- Someone who gets excited about challenges, possibilities, new ideas and opportunities - we’re looking for someone who wants to get actively involved in helping to improve our product and systems.
- Someone who has a genuine understanding of why customers are important.
- This isn’t a core part of the role, but you may be required to get involved in technical discussions with customers - it’s important that you are comfortable talking to customers and our technical partners.
What are we looking for in you as a person?
We’re looking for someone who has at least one AWS certification - e.g. AWS DevOps Engineering, AWS Certified Developer - Associate, or AWS Certified SysOps Administrator - Associate.
** This role is only open to New Zealand residents. Overseas applications will not be considered.