Reports to: Head of Engineering (or designate)
Hours of work: Full-time
Overview of Role
Ambit is hiring! We’re looking for a Tech Lead (or a Lead Engineer or Principal Engineer) to join our Engineering team.
Our mission in Engineering is to be the tech experts that support the success of our customers. We do this by adding lots of cool stuff to our product, supporting customer projects and implementations and ensuring the ongoing stability, scalability and security of our product and systems.
This is an awesome opportunity to join a growing team where you’ll help guide and lead our Engineering team to help us deliver our product roadmap (it’s full of fun and exciting feature work), grow the team, help manage our development standards, coach and mentor the team and ensure that we’re tackling technical debt in a sustainable way.
The other awesome thing with this role - it’s a lead role, but you’ll still be very hands on coding (so you’ll also get to work on all the cool stuff)!
If you’re an experienced Senior Full Stack Engineer looking to make the next move in your career, come and chat to us about this awesome opportunity.
What's in it for you?
You’ll get to work on bleeding edge features that will be technically challenging, rewarding and exciting.
We don’t believe in micromanagement - we believe in empowering our Engineering team to collaborate and be the tech experts. You’ll be a tech expert at Ambit and you’ll have the opportunity to step up, own solutions and help improve our development practices and the technologies that we use.
We have a culture of innovation and exploring ideas to make our product even more awesome.
There’s also the standard cool stuff like a central Auckland office, flexible working hours and home office, fresh fruit, ice cream Wednesday, fortnightly company breakfasts, company events, having your birthday off, a wellness bonus and a phone plan subsidy.
What you'll be doing
This is a critical role at Ambit where you will be responsible for providing technical leadership to our Engineering team (and the wider organisation) to help us deliver amazing customer experiences.
This is a diverse and rewarding role and you’ll be actively involved in:
- Designing and building a best-in-class web experience for designers and operators of conversational user experiences for chatbots
- Writing and delivering features in our roadmap and ensuring the scalability and stability of our platform
- Providing technical guidance to the Engineering team and helping them to grow their skills and develop their careers
- Motivating and supporting the Engineering team to achieve their sprint and development goals
- Building a positive and collaborative culture of continuous improvement and learning from mistakes
- Helping to facilitate team development, including retrospectives, development processes, inter communication, collaboration and enabling innovation
- Helping to plan our product roadmap by providing technical input and guidance as well as feedback and input on priorities
- Helping to balance priorities to ensure the team is working on the right thing at the right time
- Helping to implement and maintain a sustainable strategy for tackling technical debt alongside product development
- Leading the evaluation and selection of new tools and technologies and carrying out Proof of Concepts to explore and test new ideas
- Taking the lead in providing feedback, advice and recommendations on our codebase, development, QA practices and technology choices
- Working with our Customer Success team to provide recommendations and advice for customer projects
- Leading technical design discussions and strategies with the wider Engineering team
You’ll be the technical expert that the team looks to and the technical role model for the team!
What technical skills are we looking for?
To be successful in this role you’ll need to be experienced in the following technologies:
- ReactJS and Redux
- Scripting languages (such as Bash, Python etc)
It would also be great if you had the following skills and experience (these aren't critical though):
- AWS (e.g. VPC, EC2, Security Groups, IAM, ECS, CodeDeploy, CloudFront, S3 etc)
- Experience in setting up and managing test automation frameworks
- Setting up and managing CI/CD pipelines and tooling
What are we looking for in you as a person?
To succeed in this role you’ll need to be:
- A kind person who believes in building respectful relationships with the people they work with
- A team player - teamwork is vital given the intimate nature of Ambit. We’re looking for someone who enjoys working and collaborating as part of a team
- Someone who gets excited about challenges, possibilities, new ideas and opportunities - we’re looking for someone who wants to get actively involved in helping to improve our product and systems
- Someone who has a genuine understanding of why customers are important
- This isn’t a core part of the role, but you may be required to get involved in technical discussions with customers - it’s important that you are comfortable talking to customers and our technical partners
** This role is only open to New Zealand residents. Overseas applications will not be considered.